|The seal of the U.S. National Security Agency. The first use was in September 1966, replacing an older seal which was used briefly. For more information, see here and here. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
GDPR Is Coming: It's Time to Beef Up Your Privacy Skills!
As the economy is shifting towards more and more data based businesses, it's very important to ensure your business and your professional activities respect the fundamental rights of citizens to privacy. And if they do not, fear the legal consequences and the public reaction. Because privacy matters a lot. To everyone. It's the basis for liberty. If you have to fear the reaction / opinion of others for any of the actions you undertake, you are not free anymore.
The most recognized certifications on privacy are CIPP (a legally oriented certification for administrative staff) and CIPT (a technologically oriented certification for IT practitioners).
Resources to prepare privacy certification exams from IAPP
There are few good resources to prepare those certification:
- The online training from IAPP is prohibitively expensive (around 1000$!). So, I do not recommend it.
- For 1/10th of the cost, you can prepare very efficiently through the books and free quizzes listed below.
Let's start with the books:
- For CIPP/U focusing on US Privacy Law: Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) Study Guide: Pass the IAPP's CIPP/US Exam with Ease!
- For CIPT: Introduction to IT Privacy: A Handbook for Technologists
- For CIPT: Certified Information Privacy Professional Study Guide: Pass the IAPP's Certification Foundation Exam with Ease!
Now let's have a look at the training resources and quizzes with free questions to train on the privacy certification exams:
- The exam blueprint for CIPT: https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certification/CIPT_EBP.pdf
- The IAPP glossary: https://iapp.org/resources/glossary/
- The bibliography published by IAPP: https://iapp.org/media/pdf/certification/CIPT%20Bibliography%202.0-LW-2015-FINAL.pdf