This post gives the key take-aways about RSVP-TE. It's an excellent cheat sheet if you are preparing for interviews as a Network Architect or Engineering Program Manager.
- RSVP-TE is a signaling protocol in MPLS networks. This means that it can setup a label switched path and reserve ressources for it. That's why RSVP means resource reservation protocol. It's pretty clear name, isn't it?
- RSVP has two main messages:
- PATH, to request the establishment of a reservation
- RESV, to reserve the resources on the path requested through PATH message.
- flow spec: the QoS level
- filter spec: the packets to which a flow spec must be applied
An MPLS network (Credit: wikipedia)